Flag of France
Flag of France

For visa and work permit requirements in order to be able for you as a foreigner to live, work, or study in France there are many factors to be considered when assessing your case.

Schengen visa

Schengen visas for short stays by which holders can move freely in countries in the Schengen Area up to 90 days per period of 6 months from your first entry to the Schengen Area.

Airport Security Police

Work visa in France

In case of a stay in France longer than 90 days, foreigners must apply for a long-stay work visa, which also acts as your residence permit. Your employer has to draw up a work contract and send it to the local division of the French Ministry of Labour, the DIRECCTE. If any family members will be coming with the applicant, then the employer will need to start the ‘accompanying family member’ procedure at the same time. If the DIRRECTE approves the contract, it is sent to the Office Francais de l’Immigration et de l’Integration (OFII).

French work permit

Once the OFII has approved the contract, it will be sent directly to the French embassy or consulate in the applicant’s home country responsible for issuing a French work permit for non-EU citizens. Applicants will appear in person at the embassy/consulate to apply for a long-stay visa. On arriving in France, foreigners will have to register with the L’Office Francais de l’Immigration et de I’Integration (OFII).

EU and EEA citizens

EU nationals or from EEA or of Switzerland not subject to the entry and stay visa requirement, whatever the duration of their stay. Family members of EU nationals do not require an entry and stay visa, whatever the duration of their stay.

Student visa

Students can also take on part-time paid jobs during their stay but they may need to get a visa to enter France and study at a university.

Visa and work permit requirements are subject to change. Complete information can be found on the Official Website of the Government of France.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here